So, in a nation still somewhat bashful to strip down to its birthday suit, the big question often asked by the uninitiated is: ‘Why skinny dip?’ In truth, it’s an easy answer but, practically, nevertheless presents a scenario that is typically anything but easy.
“Take all of my clothes off? In public?!”
There is nothing quite as liberating and life-affirming as swimming without clothes and feeling the wonderful sensation of the water over your whole body. And that’s the trouble, isn’t it? Taking that leap from one mindset to another. Stepping out of our clothes is one small, physical step, but often one giant leap for our brains.
Skinny-dipping provides a whole list of benefits and by participating in events specifically set-up as part of the Great British Skinny Dip, you would be helping an important and necessary cause in a number of significant ways, such as:
- highlighting and sharing the body confidence benefits of “letting it all hang out”;
- raising awareness of the many health and wellbeing benefits of taking part in naked activities – particularly in relation to feelings of freedom, liberation, fun and exhilaration;
- balancing our perceptions of what constitutes a health body – i.e. it’s okay to look different to the bodies that proliferate marketing campaigns and celebrity magazines, but it’s also important to keep an eye on potential problem areas such as poor skin condition, lumps/bumps, obesity and associated issues;
- raising awareness of the benefits of early detection of health issues;
- changing reactions – especially in the media and from authorities – to the acknowledgement that nudity is a good thing and not amusing, ridiculous, suspicious, or harmful.
Do something exhilarating
Millions of people around the world have discovered the joys of skinny-dipping and the Great British Skinny Dip provides an easy opportunity for everyone to give it a go – and find out what they are missing.
What's in it for me?
It doesn’t matter who you are, where you come from or what you believe in, The Great British Skinny Dip has something for everyone:
- a fun event and opportunity to get your friends together and share an exciting experience
- meet new people; make new friends
- feel part of a wonderful new liberating community
- an uplifting experience for all the family - helping children to grow up feeling confident about their own body and with an awareness of what happens at puberty
- an easy way to take part in gentle exercise without have to exert yourself
- an escape from the rigours of daily life
- experiencing spectacular scenery and fresh air!
Like sky-diving, stepping onto a stage for the first time, or doing your first karaoke at the office Christmas party, the greatest things in life are on the other side of fear. To skinny dip for the first time is to do something exhilarating. It is to break new ground and learn something new about yourself, despite the ultimate mundanity, simplicity and naturality of it.
….Make a weekend of it and organise a skinny dip crawl by visiting a variety of locations!
Image - Christoffer Engstrom on Unsplash